Many bedrooms have similar layouts, with a bed, dresser, and night tables occupying most of the space. However, some specific design elements can make or break your bedroom design. These include color choice, furniture placement, size, and accessories. Read on to see what “in” items you should use in your bedroom design and what “out” items you want to avoid at all costs!
What’s In and What’s Out in Bedroom Design
What’s In in Bedroom Design
1. Bedroom color: An intense base color is crucial for a bedroom. I recommend choosing a solid and bold hue, such as the browns or midnight blues of this article’s photos.
Remember that it should still be in harmony with your living room, like the blue-green tones in the bedroom’s photo, rather than having a stark contrast like in the red/burgundy bedroom.
2. Bedroom furniture: Furniture placement is essential in a bedroom, as it can make a big difference in how the room feels. Overly cluttered furniture is a common mistake, which can mess with the space in subtle ways. Consider purchasing items that are well made, such as this Victorian-style bed with ornate trimmings. Furthermore, look for things meant to complement each other rather than clash. You shouldn’t see this bed and dresser placed side by side in your bedroom because the two furniture styles don’t work and would make for an unappealing look.
3. Bedroom storage: It’s always a good idea to place storage areas, like the dresser in this room, where you can see them from the entryway. This way, not only will it be more accessible, but it will also give your bedroom a nice clean look.
4. Bedroom accessories: While furniture is essential, like this exquisite dressing area with its elaborate decorations, other bedroom accessories can also greatly influence how you live in your current home and how your dream home will come together.
5. Bedroom lighting: Lighting is crucial to any room design. Since it’s often the first thing you see when entering your bedroom, ensure that the light fixtures are correctly placed and give off a nice glow.
What’s Out in Bedroom Design
What’s Out in Bedroom Design Include the following items in your bedroom design:
1. General storage: Besides bedside drawers, dresser drawers, and nightstands, you should include a general storage area for your socks and other odds and ends. In this case, the built-in cavity serves this purpose well since it’s tucked away from view often.
2. Unusual furniture pieces: While having accessories like framed artwork on the walls is nice, furniture that isn’t common in most bedrooms can look out of place and ruin the overall look of a room.
3. Flashy accessories: Look at the dresser in this room for a great example of what not to do with bedroom accessories. The vase and decorative cover are just too much for a bedroom. While it’s nice to have a decorative object like this in your space, it should be kept in the living room or family room, where it will not detract from the experience.
4. History of your home: Rooms like this one always have a unique history behind them, making designing them difficult since you may want to stray away from that history and make changes instead of embracing it.
It’s essential to think about the design of your bedroom from start to finish. Consider all these factors and more when going through the trials and tribulations of planning a dream bedroom for you and your family!