How to Maintain the Beauty of Your FurnitureDecember 7, 2017
Ways to Create a Stress-Free HomeFebruary 19, 2018
Whether they’re caused by your children, your pets, or simple wear and tear mixed with minor accidents over time, scratches can cause the beauty of furniture to quickly fade. Here are some ways to get rid of those pesky marks, making your furniture look like new once again.
1. Try a little coffee. In the process of making your morning cup of Joe, feel free to make extra for your scratched table. The coffee must be a strong blend. Apply it with a soft cloth and it should stain the damaged wood to the darker finish your table is naturally.
2. Polish it up. Shoe polish is great for masking scratches on surfaces, just make sure it’s the same color as the table. Eyebrow pencils and eyeliner pencils are great too, just make sure you use the oil based crayon pencils.
3. Add some color. Speaking of crayon pencils, actual crayons may just do the trick if the scratch is rather deep. Grate a portion of the crayon into a small bowl then sit the bowl into a pan of boiling water. The wax will then proceed to melt. Drip the wax into a gouge and smooth with a flat knife. Don’t be afraid to add different colors to create the shade that’s closest to your table.
4. Go nuts! Nuts have oils in them that are great for damaged wood, especially walnuts. Rub the kernel over the surface until the scratch disappears or apply some walnut oil with a soft cloth.
5. It’s time for some PB & J! You can also use peanut butter; apply a small amount to the area and leave on for an hour. Clean and then buff the surface. Or, you can try petroleum jelly. Apply a small amount and leave on the affected surface overnight. It has been known to “plump” the surrounding surfaces, causing the scratch to be filled. Wipe off the surface the next morning and polish.
6. Buff it out. If the damaged piece is French polished, use car polish to remove the scratch’s appearance. Be easy on the polish, however, as you don’t want to rub away the finish.
7. Don’t hold the mayonnaise. This condiment can be used to repair cracked wood. Apply a small amount and leave on the area for two to three days. The oils will cause the wood to swell, thus filling in the crack.