Ways to Create a Stress-Free HomeFebruary 19, 2018
Ways to De-clutter Your BedroomApril 24, 2018
Looking to revamp some rooms in your home? Here are some simple tips to follow to give your home a quick and easy makeover.
- Find a spot and focus on it. Whether it’s your windows or fireplace, choose an area to work around.
- Refrain from pushing pieces against walls. Even if the room is large, leave room between each piece of furniture. This will make the room appear bigger than it actually is.
- Make an inviting space. If you entertain or have guests over often, you want them to feel comfortable during conversations. You certainly wouldn’t want them to have to strain their necks or shout to see or hear you clearly. Furniture should have space between pieces while remaining close enough to where you can comfortably talk with the person across from you. If it’s a big room, make several areas for conversation.
- Don’t forget about maintaining balance. Consider the size and placement of furniture. Don’t group all of the large pieces in one area and all of the small in another. Create a variety so the room won’t look uneven.
- Keep in mind the typical flow of traffic. You wouldn’t want your family members and guests tripping over furniture or one another while passing through the room. Allow a couple of feet between the coffee table and sofa, as well as between chairs. Leave a clear walking path free of obstruction.
- Choose a rug that fits the room. We don’t just mean color or pattern scheme, we mean the right size. When selecting an area rug, choose one that all of the pieces can sit upon (or at least the front legs of each piece).
- Get a coffee table that’s decent in size. A large coffee table can serve as an anchor of sorts for the room, pleasing in both aesthetics and function. It allows plenty of room for guests to place their drinks as well as for you to adorn your favorite décor. A large table also makes easier access to all seats surrounding it. Allow at least 18 inches of space between seats and the table.
- Place your tables at arm’s length. Each seat should have easy access to a side table or coffee table. That way, guests won’t have to get up to place their drinks down. As for height, side tables should be the same as the chair’s arms or lower; same goes for coffee tables.
- Let the light in. Lighting is a key component in creating the perfect atmosphere. Mix up your overhead lighting, and use floor lamps and table lamps. Floor lamps pair well with sofa ends or behind an accent chair. Table lamps complement side tables, shelves, and mantels. Place your lighting fixtures at different levels for balance throughout the room.
- Choose artwork based on the size of the room. No matter if it is art, mirrors, or sculptures, place them based on the furniture in the room. You wouldn’t want to hang a small photo over the back of a sofa, as a large piece that’s at least two-thirds the sofa length or a group of photos will look better. If your favorite piece of art is small and you can’t imagine hanging it in that particular room, place it in a larger frame with a large matte around it.