How to Choose the Perfect ReclinerOctober 12, 2018
Five Ways to Transform Your Dining Room for ChristmasDecember 14, 2018
When it comes to designing a living room, selecting the right couch is crucial. Whether you entertain often at your home or simply prefer those quiet nights home alone, it’s important to invest your money in a couch that only helps bring the room together but also provides a sense of comfort after a long day. Here are some tips to help you select the right couch for your home.
- Test different models. What we mean is – when you’re out shopping for a couch, try out different styles and models to find which suits you best. Sofas typically have a seat depth of at least 60 centimeters, which is ample room for those with long legs while also catering to those who are shorter by creating space to tuck your legs under. Seat depths vary, however, and you will want the one that provides the best back support. As for height, this ranges from 45 centimeters to 50 centimeters high, depending upon the style of couch. If you enjoy lying down on the couch, test this out as well by checking the width (excluding the armrests).
- Focus only on models with decent frames. A good frame means a longer lifespan; in fact, some companies provide a lifetime guarantee on their couch frames. Hardwood frames are a great option. Try to stay away from frames made of particleboard or metal.
- Don’t be afraid to squeeze the cushions, so to speak. Cushions filled with feathers are comfortable, but they will need to be plumped on a regular basis. Foam cushions tend to flatten out and lose shape as they’re used over time. The best option is choosing cushions that are feather and foam since the feather provides the comfort while the foam provides the structure. Another great option is a couch with back feather cushions and foam seat cushions.
- Find your favorite fabric. Try to have an idea ahead of time as to what you’re looking for in color and pattern. If the couch is located near a window, synthetic fabric is the best choice, as sunlight can fade couches made of natural fabric. If you have pets that stay indoors, look into fabrics that are easy to clean or invest in couch covers.
- Measure for the right fit. Before going out and purchasing the couch, measure the area it will be sitting in, as well as the doors and stairways it may pass through during delivery. There are models with low back styles, ones with removable legs, and ones that are delivered in sections for those who live in smaller homes.